Sunday, August 3, 2008

Radovan Karadzic, a Bush Nightmare

Scene: bedtime in the White House, apprx 9PM
GWB: time for bed, move over will ya, Laura?
Laura: zzzzzz
GWB: (looking over Laura's nighstand bottles of Ambien, Prozac & Valium) ... heheheh, she is out like a duck's butt
Laura: zzzzzz
GWB: (whisking away the 3-inch ash on Laura's Pall Mall as he reaches for the TV remote) ... guess I'll just watch me some TV until I hit zzzzz-land myself
Laura: zzzzzz
GWB: (clicking TV remote as he settles into his stack of Fluffy Bunny pillows) ... just something boring so's I can fall asleep and dream of Paraguay ... aaah, this should do it ... the foreign news weekly roundup ... bet I don't last to the first commercial ...

Radovan Karadzic, infamous Bosnian Serb leader and one of the main perpetrators of The Srebrenica Massacre was arrested July 21, after 13-years in hiding. First indicted by the UN War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague in July 1995 for author- izing shooting of civilians during the Siege of Sarajevo. Later indicted for genocide in orche- strating the slaughter of 8,000 muslim men & boys in Srebrenica, East Bosnia, Europe's worst massacre since World War II. Karadzic was finally apprehended when he made a single phone call to a relative whose phone (along with most of Karadzic's friends and family) had been tapped for yrs.

GWB: (yawn) those Hague guys shore was persistent, tapping them phones for so many yrs ...

The 1992-1995 Bosnian War resulted in an estimated 200,000 dead from the slaughter of ethnic cleansing. Concentration camps, brutal murders, premeditated rape of thousands of Bosnian Muslim girls and women, thousands of children traumatized -- all of this horrendous waste of humanity, took place right before the eyes of the civilized world.

GWB: oh yeah, I seem to remember something about the previous president being accused of wagging the dog when he proposed intervening to stop the violence, but (reaches for glass of water) he wasn't lucky enough to have 911 happen on his watch, heheheh... (takes a gulp of water) ...

Karadzic will face charges of genocide, extermination, murder, and inhumane acts (incl rape & torture) against non-Serbs in his trial before the UN Tribunal at the International Criminal Court in The Hague. People of conscience welcome this news and hope it will serve as a warning to anyone who thinks they can willfully invade another country. As Serge Brammertz, chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunal stated, the arrest of Radovan Karadzic "is an important day for international justice because it clearly demonstrates that nobody is beyond the reach of the law and that sooner or later all fugitives will be brought to justice."

GWB: (spewing water all over the bed) .... now just wait a minute!
Laura: zzzzz, snork, wha? why'm I sleeping in water?
GWB: Laura babe, the TV news is saying that the International Criminal Court can bring a person to justice for suspected war crimes, even a dozen years after the fact!
Laura: snork, hock, gag, George is that you?
GWB: 'course it's me, now wake yourself up & listen!
Laura: cough, grrrgggh, hack, why are you waking me up about the Criminal Court?
GWB: It's the International Criminal Court, and I think I might have a problem with them soon.
Laura: Oh go to sleep George, you know the United States exempted itself from that silly court.
GWB: hmmmm, Laura babe, I think you're right. I remember now, we not only excluded ourselves, but we pressured a lot of other countries to exclude themselves, too.
Laura: That's right, so you can stop worrying about facing a war crimes trial, and let me sleep!
GWB: (big yawn) OK, guess I should just stop watching foreign news before I go to sleep (closes eyes & starts to nod off)
Laura: .... unless you ever travel out of this country to one of the 108 ICC-member countries ...
GWB: Is Paraguay one of those countries? Those traitors!
Laura: .... Goodnight, George ... take a look at the map in the morning. There's still plenty of hiding places, like China or Chile.
GWB: I wonder if Cheney, Rummy, Condi, Gonzo, Wolfie, Feith, Yoo, and Perle know about this? I'll ask Addington tomorrow. **********

Let us gratefully leave the White House Bedroom now, and simply show some of the images that flashed on his foreign news TV screen.

Rather than the Milosovic or Karadzic war-criminal-in-hiding route, perhaps Bush will consider the Ratko Mladic route. Mladic is the General behind the Srebrenica massacre. He is never alone, and though his armed bodyguards will fight to the death, they have orders to kill him rather than let him be captured alive.

More scenes from foreign news coverage (click on any pic to enlarge) ... Body bags of human remains from Srebenica massacre, being stored in an underground tunnel morgue ...

Bosnian mass graves:








Bosnians praying in front of coffins of 610 victims of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, buried at The Memorial Cemetary in 2005:
Srebrenica refugees:
Bosnians celebrating Karadzic's arrest:
In Sarajevo this week, citizens filled the streets that Radovan Karadzic had once ordered shelled. They collectively remembered how this psychopathic power-monger held their city hostage for months, killing the innocent in their homes, on the streets, in lineups for food and water, in the marketplaces ... and he did not care at all. [source] Ref: Zijad Delic, The Montreal Gazette

Goodnight, George. If Americans won't haul your war criminal ass into court, may some ICC-member country someday serve your ass on a platter to The Hague. May justice be done.

11 comments:

D.K. Raed said...

********** a personal note:
I know I haven't been around much lately, for which I apologize. Beyond corporate legal BS thingies, I am dealing with a sick old dog who seems to be (literally) on her last legs. Right now I'm wearing a wrist guard, so my keyboarding skills are nil (e.g., I started working on this post last week, but my aching wrist wouldn't let me stick with it). I believe I injured my wrist picking up the old dog, as she keeps keeling over on her unsteady legs. She is a pretty big dog and her heart is even larger. I wish I could comfort her with soothing voice, she was always the vocal singing dog who listened attentively to human conversation & music, but alas, she has also gone deaf. And now she's become so jumpy, it's hard to get her to calm down & accept a loving massage. As George Carlin once said in recognition of their shorter life spans: "every dog is a tragedy waiting to happen".
**********

eProf2 said...

Sorry about your puppy, DK. This is a really well done post. I doubt if the Bushes lose any sleep over their killing ways these past six years of a war of choice. Bush chose to go to war with a pre-emptive strike (remember shock and awe -- to some it meant they're bombing me and now I don't know what to do because my whole family was just wiped out). Unfortunately, the winners and the powerful rarely have to face the music of justice -- but I'm praying for justice against these SOB in the WH for the past seven years.

Cartledge said...

DK. Excellent post, but I'm with eprof on Bush's reaction. It would be delightful to believe he had the imagination to see things this way.
Still I can see some members of ICC using the court to try and break the grip of US oil pirates like Cheney.

D.K. Raed said...

EProf:
The "puppy" would be 15 yrs old in a few months, if she makes it that far! I know in my heart you are right that Bush loses no sleep worrying about international justice. I guess I just love imagining his & Laura's bedroom talk.

Cart:
Cheney, the oil pirate, argghhhh! Well if there be justice in an ICC courtroom, the wooden planks will be greased with trusty swords upthrust to greet each pirate as he jumps to his doom in the vasty deep.

(too funny, my verfication is SUVHO) !!!

eProf2 said...

DK, I call all dogs of any age, "puppies." I don't know why, I just do. When I'm walking and I encounter a dog I always say something like, "are you a good puppy?" Dogs, probably like humans, want to know that they're always young. LOL!

Billie Greenwood said...

D.K. this post is a labor of love under any conditions...but that you were wearing a wrist guard, well, my hat tips to you.
Thanks for sharing with us a wonderful post on a worthwhile subject.

DivaJood said...

DK, sorry about your wrist, and the declining dog - and the other hassels. I've been a bit scarce myself the last few days - sometimes life has a way of sucking out our energy. That said:

Oh, my god, who did Radovan Karadzic's hair in that first photo? I mean, he's got MUCH beter hair than Shrub does. But they both have the same empty eyes, that sort of "serial killer" glaze.

Let's hope that Bush gets dragged before The Hague - and Cheney. And the entire kabal.

D.K. Raed said...

EProf: All dogs are "good" and they certainly think they are still "puppies" forever, so I assume the dogs you meet walking would answer your question in the vigorous tail-wagging affirmative.

BExplorer: thanks for your kind words. I always appreciate your comments. I'm trying to wean myself off the wrist guard.

Diva: His thick mass of hair is his trademark. You've probably seen the more current 'do he was sporting at time of capture? Kind of an aging hippie guru look. The only leader I've seen with deader eyes is Putin. By the time Bush & Cheney get hauled into The Hague, I'm afraid Bush will have devolved into Charleton Heston's evil-ape role in the FINAL Planet of the Apes and Cheney will look like Howard Hughes. In other words, it will have been a long time comin' ...

Mauigirl said...

Excellent post, D.K. I hope Bush doesn't escape from his crimes.

The Srebenica Massacre was horrendous. Tom Paxton wrote an extremely moving song about the tragedy; it can be found on his album, "For the Record." I tried to find a video of it to no avail or I'd have linked it here.

D.K. Raed said...

MauiGirl:
Thanks. I will look into the Tom Paxton. There was also a very moving play about all the raped Bosnian women, but its name escapes me at the moment. It looks like Radovan will be defending himself at The Hague. Guess no one else could be bribed.

D.K. Raed said...

MauiG: Not only is there no YouTube of Paxton's "On the Road from Srebrenica", but I could not even find the lyrics!

However, I did find the name of the play about all the Bosnian women who were were murdered, raped, beaten: "Necessary Targets" -- a series of interviews put together by Eve Ensler. I saw a PBS special about it, but never saw the actual play.