Saturday, March 15, 2008

Saturday Night - The Blue Nile

Funny ... the pathways the brain takes ... on the post below, Newsguy mentioned Edward Hopper, which reminded me of The Blue Nile, "Saturday Night", an ethereal, gentle, uninsistent yet insinuating track from their album, "Hats" (6.5 minutes):


The Blue Nile is a trio from Glasgow, Scotland. Even though they've only produced a small volume of music since their inception in the 1980's, every album is a masterpiece. They go years, even decades, between albums, weaving a sound mosaic that is part science fictionesque and part tragic fantasy. I first found them in the early 1990's on their 2nd album, "Hats", of which all I can say is when you're in the right mood, every song on that album, from first note to last, will resonate in your soul. Singer/songwriter Paul Buchanan has a way of getting under your skin with his haunting tunes. Click here for a disarmingly frank 2006 interview of Paul Buchanan on Irish TV. I love both Irish and Scots accents. And that touch of grey.

Such integrity and purpose is rare, and should be cherished. The Blue Nile's songs tell stories that delight in the trivia of modern existence. Says Mr. Buchanan: "You know, I think that’s part of our job really – to express what’s going on in that little gap in between what people dream and what they get. To find good ways of looking at that and to find what is positive about it and to make unimpeachable records as far as possible on behalf of the stupid and the crazy or on behalf of the part of us that is dispossessed by a non-spiritual retail-orientated society".

If you find yourself in Scotland this July ...

The BLUE NILE next concerts :
--- The Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
on 09th, 10th and 11th July 2008.
--- Galway Radisson Hotel
on 15th July 2008.

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/artist/734591?calendar_view=1

Or if you find yourself stuck here in July, may I suggest throwing "Hats" on the stereo.

5 comments:

D.K. Raed said...

test - I think blogger thinks I'm spam again.

D.K. Raed said...

test #2 - if this one doesn't go through, I'll work on it tomorrow.

Cartledge said...

Blue Nile? You lost me on that one... :) Wicked modern music...

enigma4ever said...

ahhhhh you now how to get me feeling better....Scots singing...and my Favorite Cafe....sigh....ahhh the days when we used to have that....thank you....

Happy St Pats day.....

D.K. Raed said...

(still not getting email comments)

Cart:
If you are lost, I will have to come looking for you! Is it wicked just because it's modern? I found it melancholy & it goes so well with the Hopper.

Enigma:
yes, a good scot is hard to resist ... a bad scot, even harder! Happy St Patrick's Day to you, too. I forgot to wear green today, but then as husband reminds me, my green eyes will do.